Landlord's FAQ

Choosing the right agent can make all the difference to your letting experience. Beyond the initial marketing of your property you may have questions regarding fees, anti-money laundering regulations, EPC’s, Right to Rent obligations etc.

Some Commonly Asked Questions.


Our rule of thumb is that good quality properties attract good quality tenants. This means that the property should be well maintained and presented.

Electrical, gas, plumbing, water, central heating and hot water systems must be safe to use and in good working order.

Decorations should be in good condition and preferably in a neutral colour scheme. It is well worth considering either cleaning or replacing carpets as necessary. Repairs and maintenance are at the landlord’s expense unless misuse can be established.


An EPC is a guide made available to prospective tenants when they look at a property. It gives the property an asset rating based on its energy efficiency. The EPC will show how efficiently a home uses energy and will give the property a rating from ‘A’ (most efficient) to ‘G’ (least efficient). The EPC will also make recommendations for how to improve the energy efficiency of the property.

Once prepared the EPC can last for up to 10 years.

Other than some specific exemptions, all residential properties let will generally require an Energy Performance Certificate or EPC to be commissioned before marketing commences.

With effect from 1st April 2018 there will be a requirement for any properties rented out in the private rented sector to normally have a minimum EPC rating of 'E'.

The Energy Efficiency (Private Rented Property) (England and Wales) Regulations 2015 (MEES) prohibit landlords from letting a property with an EPC rating of below 'E' unless an exemption applies.

The prohibition will apply to new lets and renewals of tenancies with effect from 1st April 2018 and for all existing tenancies on 1st April 2020. It will be unlawful to rent a property which breaches the requirements for a minimum EPC rating of 'E' unless there is an applicable exemption. A civil penalty will be imposed for breaches.

Moscrops can assist in arranging a quote for obtaining an EPC but for an average 3 bedroom house they typically cost around £50.


We offer a FREE Letting Appraisal - thereafter our fees with effect from 11/11/2021 are as follows:

Letting of Property (Sole Agency)
Let Only Service

We charge a letting fee of 75%+VAT of the first month's rent with a minimum fee of £375 inc VAT

Example 1: Based on a rent of £400 pcm our letting fee would be £375 minimum fee inc VAT (£312.50 net + £62.50 VAT)

Example 2: Based on a rent of £600 pcm our letting fee would be £540 inc VAT (£450 net + £90 VAT)

With this service additional fees or charges may apply - see below for details:

Let & Standard Management Service

We charge a letting fee of 50%+VAT of the first month’s rent each time a new letting is carried out and a management fee of 12% inc VAT (10%+VAT) of the rent collected

Example 1: Based on a rent of £400 pcm our letting fee would be £240 inc VAT (£200 net + £40 VAT). Our management fee would be £48 inc VAT (£40 net + £8 VAT)

Example 2: Based on a rent of £600 pcm our letting fee would be £360 inc VAT (£300 net + £60 VAT). Our management fee would be £72 inc VAT (£60 net + £12 VAT)

With this service additional fees or charges may apply - see below for details:

Repairs or Expenses

We charge an administration fee of 6% inc VAT (5%+VAT) of the invoice total subject to a minimum fee of £3 inc VAT and a maximum fee of £90 inc VAT

Example 1: Based on a repair invoice of £30 our admin fee would be £3 inc VAT

Example 2: Based on a repair invoice of £300 our admin fee would be £18 inc VAT

EPC (Energy Performance Certificate)

To arrange for the commissioning of an EPC report we charge a fee of £9 inc VAT plus the report cost

Tenancy Deposit Scheme (TDS)

Where we hold deposit monies, we charge an annual fee of £15 inc VAT

Spare Keys

To obtain duplicate keys for a property we charge a fee of £6 inc VAT plus the key costs

Void Inspections

To attend specific vacant (void) inspection requests we charge a fee of £12 inc VAT per visit

Additional Inspections

To carry out a weekly visit to the communal areas of a Section 257 HMO property (as defined by the Housing Act 2004) we charge a fee of £36 inc VAT per calendar month

Non-resident landlord return to HMRC

To remit quarterly return to HMRC and respond to specific queries we charge a fee of £12 inc VAT

Rent Review Fee

To review market rent, negotiate terms, update agreement, serve S.13 notice we charge a fee of £60 inc VAT

New Fixed Term Tenancy Agreement for Existing Tenants

This will apply in circumstances where a new fixed term tenancy agreement is required or agreed between the parties. To negotiate terms & to arrange for a new fixed term tenancy agreement to be signed we charge a fee of £114 inc VAT

Standard Inventory Fee

To prepare a standard inventory, which is required for each letting, we charge a fee of £60 inc VAT per letting

Upgraded Inventory Fee

To prepare a more detailed inventory with photographs, which is an option for each letting, we charge a fee of £150 inc VAT per letting

Deposit Dispute

To prepare and submit deposit dispute paperwork to TDS we charge a fee of £30 inc VAT

Rent Arrears letter from Solicitor

To arrange for a solicitor to prepare and send a rent arrears letter we charge a fee of £30 inc VAT

Notice requesting Possession

To prepare and deliver a S.21 notice requesting possession we charge a fee of £30 inc VAT

Accelerated Possession

To prepare and submit possession paperwork to the Court we charge a fee of £114 inc VAT plus the Court costs

Court Attendance

Our fee to attend a Court hearing is charged at £60 inc VAT per hour

Other Charges/Information

Details of our fees or charges are provided to you in our Terms of Business before we market your property. We will inform you about any other fees or charges that may arise or become due and which are not referred to in our Terms of Business.

The 'Let Only Service' or 'Let & Standard Management Service' letting fee includes all our promotional costs other than any specifically agreed expenditure. In addition, for your peace of mind, you will also benefit from our 'No Let - No Fee' guarantee.



Moscrops are members of the Tenancy Deposit Scheme (TDS) in England and Wales operated by The Dispute Service Ltd, for full details see:

If we have agreed to hold the tenancy deposit we will place the monies in a designated client’s deposit account. The tenant will be issued with a deposit certificate and associated information.

Assured Tenancies and company lettings are not covered by the Tenancy Deposit Scheme.

We are members of RICS which means that we are covered by the RICS Client Money Protection (CMP) Scheme and where relevant, will apply the rules of this Scheme to our client money handling procedures. The RICS CMP Scheme is operated in line with the requirements set out in the The Client Money Protection Schemes for Property Agents (Approval and Designation of Schemes) Regulations 2018.

Our CMP Scheme Membership Certificate can be downloaded here in pdf format.

Client monies will be placed in a designated client's deposit account - for exclusions and limits to the RICS CMP Scheme see:

Details of the RICS CMP Scheme are available at:

Copies are freely available upon request.


We are an independent Wirral based property practice whose routes can be traced back to 1956.

We are members of:

We also belong to:

In addition, as members of RICS we are covered by the RICS Client Money Protection (CMP) scheme (

We operate a formal procedure to deal with complaints from clients and others should there be an issue that you have been unable to resolve satisfactorily with us.

Details about this procedure are available here. For Consumer Clients, we are members of The Property Ombudsman (TPO) scheme. For Business-to-Business Clients, we are members of the RICS and have chosen to use the RICS Dispute Resolution Service.


You will be asked to provide proof of ownership for the property you are letting together with proof of identity and proof of your residential home address to comply with money laundering regulations - for example, Land Registry document, valid passport, photo-card driving licence, and a couple of recent utility bills (within the last 3 months).


Since February 2016, it has been a legal requirement for Landlord’s to carry out Right to Rent checks that all tenants or lodgers can legally rent a residential property in England.

Before the start of a new tenancy, the Landlord must check all tenants or occupiers aged 18 years or over, even if they are not named on the tenancy agreement or if there is no tenancy agreement or if the tenancy agreement is not in writing.

Additional checks or information may be required depending upon individual circumstances.


Your tenant will most likely be given an Assured Shorthold Tenancy (AST) which is a legally binding document between you, as Landlord, and the Tenant. It will state the length of the tenancy and the agreed rent together with setting out the rights and responsibilities of both parties to the agreement.


As a landlord you must do the following:

  • keep your rented properties safe and free from health hazards
  • make sure all gas and electrical equipment is safely installed and maintained
  • provide an Energy Performance Certificate for the property
  • protect your tenant’s deposit in a government-approved scheme
  • check your tenant has the right to rent your property if it’s in England
  • give your tenant a copy of the How to rent checklist when they start renting from you

It is your responsibility to:

  • fit and test smoke alarms and carbon monoxide alarms
  • follow fire safety regulations for property in a purpose-built block of flats or for houses and property adapted into flats

You have to pay:

  • Income Tax on your rental income, minus your day-to-day running expenses
  • Class 2 National Insurance if the work you do renting out property counts as running a business

If you have a mortgage on the property you want to rent out, you must get permission from your mortgage lender.


The landlord is responsible for ensuring that the building structure, walls, pathways and the main supply systems such as central heating, plumbing, gas and electricity including any supplied appliances are in full & safe working order.

If your property is rented with gas appliances then you will need to arrange, as a minimum, an annual safety check to be carried out by an appropriate Gas Safe Registered engineer who will produce a Gas Safety Certificate (CP12) a copy of which must be given to the tenant.

For all properties, we also recommend that a Periodic Inspection Test of the electrical installation is carried out by a person who has the competence to do so prior to a tenancy commencing. As a landlord, you are required to make sure that the electrical installation is safe to use throughout the duration of the tenant’s occupation. In addition any appliance that you supply (e.g. cooker, kettle, fridge etc.) must also be safe to use and (as a minimum) must have a ‘CE’ marking.

Periodic Inspection Tests should preferably be carried out at intervals of no more than 5 years apart.

If you are unable to provide us with a valid test certificate for your property then a suitably qualified electrician (NICEIC or NAPIT registered) should be instructed without delay to carry out a full electrical inspection & upgrade. The electrician will need to supply a Certificate to confirm the safety of the installation.

You are also responsible for repairs to basins, sinks, baths and other sanitary fittings.


If your property is rented out with appliances such as a washing machine, fridge, freezer, cooker or dishwasher etc. then these must be safe to use and in good working order. If you have an older appliance or are worried that it may be towards the end of it’s life then we would recommend that you either replace or remove it from the property. If the appliance forms part of the inventory and it breaks or fails during the tenancy, then you will have to replace it.


We usually suggest to leave only the minimum of furnishings (or preferably just ‘carpets & curtains’) and if you intend to leave anything at all, they should be of reasonable quality. Many tenants will already have their own personal possessions and furnishings.

Where upholstered furniture and furnishings are provided they will need to be “fire safe” which means that they comply with all of the fire resistance requirements laid out in the Furniture & Furnishings (Fire) (Safety) Regulations 1988.

The most common tests are referred to as the “match test” and the “cigarette test” – which is why many furnishing labels feature black symbols of lit cigarettes and matches.

If the furniture you supply with your property was purchased from a reputable supplier after 1988 then it should be “fire safe”. You can look for a “permanent” label, which should be attached to the furniture, usually out of sight.

You should note that bed bases, mattresses and divans have different labelling to the above.


Please leave garden areas neat, tidy and litter-free, with lawned areas cut. The tenancy requires a tenant to maintain garden areas to a reasonable standard provided they are left the necessary tools. However, you should bear in mind that few tenants are experienced gardeners and so you may wish to arrange additional maintenance visits by you own gardener.


As a responsible landlord will want to protect and insure your investment. In addition, your mortgage company will no doubt insist that you have Landlords Insurance on a buy to let property - as a standard property owners insurance policy will not usually protect you if the worst were to happen. Landlords building insurance can protect your investment from damages caused by fire and flood, and importantly can also help protect the income you receive through your tenants paying rent.


The tenancy agreement will require you as Landlord to give the tenant ‘reasonable notice’ if you wish to inspect the property. This is usually a minimum of 24 hour’s notice other than in the case of an emergency. If you wish to inspect the property we would suggest contacting us so that we can make the necessary arrangements for you. If we manage a property for you then will aim to carry out our own property inspection approximately once every four months.


We ask that all parties adhere to relevant Government advice and guidelines including maintaining appropriate social distancing where appropriate.

We recommend everyone involved in the home buying, selling and renting process to follow good hygiene practices including regular hand-washing, sanitising, and cleaning to help prevent the spread of infection. You should also consider when it may be appropriate to follow additional advisory social distancing measures.

Before making an in-person appointment, please contact us to discuss any specific requirements you may have.

Thank you.

We're here to help!

If you need any advice, even if you are not letting through Moscrops, please do not hesitate to contact us

Information provided is thought to be materially correct however, it's accuracy can in no way be guaranteed.