Tenant's FAQ

Renting a property for the first time may feel like unfamiliar territory. To assist potential tenants we have tried to answer a range of commonly asked questions below, but if you have other queries, please do not hesitate to contact us.

Some Commonly Asked Questions.


Moscrops provide an online database of properties to rent which is regularly updated. Our search screen is easy to use and helps you to quickly find properties that may be of interest. Once you have identified a property that you are interested in you can then view more information or arrange to view the property.

If you still can't find the right property, then why not sign up to our mailing list.


Once you have found a property of interest the next step is to organise your viewing – simply click or call and we will take care of the rest.

Please confirm any costs that may be incurred PRIOR to making arrangements to view any property. We recommend that you discuss with a member of staff any points which may be likely to affect your interest in the property prior to viewing so that you do not make a wasted journey.


An Energy Performance Certificate or EPC is a guide made available to prospective tenants when they look at a property. It gives the property an asset rating based on its energy efficiency. The EPC will show how efficiently a home uses energy and will give the property a rating from ‘A’ (most efficient) to ‘G’ (least efficient). The EPC will also make recommendations for how to improve the energy efficiency of the property.

Once prepared the EPC can last for up to 10 years.


It is FREE to apply for any of our properties but once you have found the right property and are wanting to make an application, you need to be aware of the following permitted payments or charges that may apply.

Information for Tenants: Properties in England (effective from 1st June 2019)

Relevant letting fees and tenant protection information

As well as paying the rent, you may also be required to make the following permitted payments.

Before the tenancy starts

Holding Deposit: 1 week's rent; and/or

Deposit: Normally 1 month's rent (limited to 5 week's rent or in the case of rental income of more than £50,000 per annum 6 week's rent)

During the tenancy

Payment of up to £50 (inc VAT) if you want to change the tenancy agreement

Payment of interest for the late payment of rent at a rate of 3% above the Bank of England base rate

Payment for the reasonably incurred costs for the loss of keys/security devices

Payment of any unpaid rent or other reasonable costs associated with your early termination of the tenancy

During the tenancy - (payable to the provider) if permitted and applicable

Utilities - gas, electricity, water
Communications - telephone and broadband
Installation of cable/satellite
Subscription to cable/satellite supplier
Television licence
Council Tax

Other permitted payments

Any other permitted payments, not included above, under the relevant legislation including contractual damages.

Tenant protection information

Moscrops Estate Agents Limited trading as Moscrops is a member of the RICS CMP scheme, which is a client money protection scheme, and also a member of The Property Ombudsman (TPO) redress scheme. You can find out more details on the Moscrops website or by contacting the agent directly.



Moscrops are members of the Tenancy Deposit Scheme (TDS) in England and Wales operated by The Dispute Service Ltd, for full details see:


If we have agreed to hold the tenancy deposit we will place the monies in a designated client’s deposit account. The tenant will be issued with a deposit certificate and associated information.

Assured Tenancies and company lettings are not covered by the Tenancy Deposit Scheme.

We are members of RICS which means that we are covered by the RICS Client Money Protection (CMP) Scheme and where relevant, will apply the rules of this Scheme to our client money handling procedures. The RICS CMP Scheme is operated in line with the requirements set out in the The Client Money Protection Schemes for Property Agents (Approval and Designation of Schemes) Regulations 2018.

Our CMP Scheme Membership Certificate can be downloaded here in pdf format.

Client monies will be placed in a designated client's deposit account - for exclusions and limits to the RICS CMP Scheme see:


Details of the RICS CMP Scheme are available at:


Copies are freely available upon request.


We are an independent Wirral based property practice whose routes can be traced back to 1956.

We are members of:

We also belong to:

In addition, as members of RICS we are covered by the RICS Client Money Protection (CMP) scheme (www.rics.org/clientmoneyprotectionscheme)

We operate a formal procedure to deal with complaints from clients and others should there be an issue that you have been unable to resolve satisfactorily with us.

Details about this procedure are available here. For Consumer Clients, we are members of The Property Ombudsman (TPO) scheme. For Business-to-Business Clients, we are members of the RICS and have chosen to use the RICS Dispute Resolution Service.


Generally yes, if you rent a property that we manage or let for a landlord then you may also be required to provide a home owner guarantor for the duration of your tenancy.

If this is not possible or you are unable to provide a home owner guarantor then please do contact us to discuss whether any other options may be available.


For all properties, you will need to complete an application form (1 form per adult applicant).

You must also provide us with the information needed to carry out a Right to Rent check on all prospective tenants and occupiers aged 18 years or over.

We will also need you to provide us with the names and addresses of referees, guarantor (where required), proof of identity, proof of your residential home address, national insurance number and proof of income e.g. last 3 month's bank statements plus details of any relevant benefits you may be entitled to or other appropriate information.

You will require a bank account to pay your rent from - usually this must be paid by Standing Order (if you do not have a current bank account, please discuss this with us prior to submitting an application).

If you are in receipt of a subsidy or Local Housing Allowance Contributions (Housing Benefits) you will need to submit your claim form to your Local Housing Benefit department for processing. We will require a receipt provided by the Local Housing Benefit department to confirm that your claim form has been submitted. Please note we cannot finalise your move-in date or tenancy until this has been done.


We will need to carry out Right to Rent checks on all prospective tenants and occupiers aged 18 years or over.

Before the start of a new tenancy, checks will need to carried out on all tenants or occupiers aged 18 years or over, even if they are not named on the tenancy agreement or if there is no tenancy agreement or if the tenancy agreement is not in writing.

Additional checks or information will be required for non-EEA citizens depending on individual circumstances.


Normally, between 10 - 14 working days. We need time to take up and confirm your references, obtain ID and address information, process your guarantor documents (if required) and to arrange for the necessary lease paperwork to be prepared.

Timescales can of course vary and will be usually be agreed on an individual basis.


Your tenancy will most likely be an Assured Shorthold Tenancy (AST) which is a legally binding document between you and the Landlord. It will state the length of the tenancy and the agreed rent together with setting out the rights and responsibilities of both parties to the agreement.


Generally an initial six month fixed term tenancy (AST) is entered into - this may be extended with the agreement of all parties. Tenancies are frequently extended beyond the initial fixed term.


These are clearly set out in your tenancy agreement, which you should read carefully before you sign. If in doubt, just ask – we’re here to help.


If you are seeking to leave before the end of the fixed term agreed, you must seek written permission from the landlord. It is likely that leaving before the end of a fixed term tenancy will result in financial penalties.


In all cases please contact us to discuss the options that may be available to you.


Ensure that you fulfil your obligations as stated in the tenancy agreement and to leave the property in the condition it was in at the start, save for "fair wear and tear". If the property is left unclean or damaged it is likely the landlord will wish to make deductions from the deposit to cover this.

If all parties agree then the matter can be settled. If agreement cannot be reached then the deposit will be lodged with the Tenancy Deposit Scheme TDS (www.tenancydepositscheme.com) for adjudication.

You will also need to inform the utility companies such as gas, electricity, water, telephone, broadband and T.V. licensing together with the local authority (www.wirral.gov.uk) Council Tax department that you have vacated the property. You will also need to provide all relevant parties with your forwarding address.


Following a satisfactory check out of the Inventory and subject to your landlord's approval, your deposit should be returned shortly after you leave the property. We usually make direct payment to your nominated bank account so you will be asked to confirm these details to us before monies are refunded.

Please note that in instances where Housing Benefit or other Benefit payments are made directly to Moscrops, we will need written confirmation from the Council that the claim has been finalised and is not subject to repayment demands - this may take several weeks.

We're here to help!

If you need any advice, even if you are not renting through Moscrops, please do not hesitate to contact us

Information provided is thought to be materially correct however, it's accuracy can in no way be guaranteed.